Lesson: The Masked Musician Project
Kris developed this project with her band class based on the show “The Masked Singer.” This has wonderful possibilities for upper elementary and can be used with a wide variety of songs or projects you may already be working on.
The project is perfect for those who are teaching recorder while the kids are at home, but could also be used with found sound compositions, body percussion, singing or improvisation lessons and more!
A link to the Google Doc is included at the end of the lesson. You will be prompted to make a copy in Google Docs that you can edit for your own use. We will not have access to your file, but we would LOVE to hear how you used Kris’s awesome idea with your students!
The Masked Musician Project
This project is based on the hit show “The Masked Singer!” Your goal is to fool as many of your classmates as possible. Here is how you can successfully complete this project:
1. Take out the song/project that we are currently working on.
2. Open the Flipgrid that has been assigned to you for this project.
3. BEFORE you record, decorate yourself and cover yourself up with stickers, emojis, etc. Just click on “effects” before you start. We don’t want to see your face or any other identifying features. You can also apply frames.
4. WITHOUT talking, click the red camera record button and perform the song/rhythm/improvisation/recorder song etc. (whatever you have been working on). When finished, WITHOUT talking, stop the recording.
5. Click continue, take a selfie (BE SURE TO DECORATE). Be creative and have fun! Create a character that reflects YOU like if you were a contestant on the Masked Singer.
6. Where it says Display Name, type your character name. In the description, type your real name (no one will see this)
7. We will hold a watch party and vote on who we think is who, our favorite sticker scenes, names and selfies.
HAVE FUN AND BE CREATIVE!
Masked Musician Set-Up
(Teacher Set-Up Instructions)
1. On flipgrid, if you haven’t set up your group, set one up and have the children join.
2. Create a topic “Masked Musician”
3. Set the topic to have video moderation so the videos remain hidden from others.
4. Toggle off the switch for comments and likes.
5. Allow selfies and videos
6. Add a giphy if you like!
7. Give clear instructions of what to do in the description (see above).
8. Share the link with your students!
9. Once all the videos are in, click the box that ‘selects all’ and under <actions> choose <Add to mixtape>
10. You will be prompted to create a new mixtape – name it “Masked Musician”
11. To host the watch party, click on the code for the mixtape and the videos will appear “zoom style”. Share your screen and share your computer sound via zoom/meet or on the projector in class.
12. Click on the first video. They will play automatically unless you pause them.
13. Voting – guess who they really are, also vote at the end for the favorite scene, favorite selfie, favorite name, favorite stickers, anything you and the kids like.
14. You could choose to create a google form for voting or vote on paper if you are in person without one to one technology.
This lesson would be perfect for a hybrid model as well. The children could work on the recording while at home, and do the watching and voting in person.
Sign up for latest Orff Tips, Lesson Plans and Advocacy Tools
Empower your students to create their own music in this free 3-day challenge with Roger Sams. (Lessons delivered via email)
Learn about the legendary factory that started it all and why so many teachers like you love our instruments.