Improvisation Lesson: Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns
an excerpt from This Is What I Can Do: Improvisation Starters for Music Classes K-5
by Patrick Ware
- Teach the words and melody of the B section.
- Many children will be familiar with this song.
- After completing the ‘We do’ teach the words and melody of the A section.
- Where the B section is very traditional, the A section is sung in a swing style.
- Have students explore the 4 levels of body percussion
- Allow students time to Snap, Clap, Patchen (patting legs) and Stomp
- With each body percussion exploration begin by asking, “How many different sounds can you make using a ____________?
- Once students have explored the possibilities have each student create their own 8 beat body percussion rhythm.
- Encourage students to create an idea that they can remember and can readily re-create. Simplicity is good.
- Have students exchange 8 beat body percussion rhythms in shared space.
- Having learned the A section; while singing students will use the A section to jazz walk to a new partner. Students should have selected a new partner before the end of the A section
- During A section new-found partners create their own walk.
- During A section partners figure our who is improvising first
- During the B sections students sing melody the melody while keeping the beat with a patchen clap pattern.
- In C section students take turns trading body percussion improvisations
- The final form is ABCAB
What’s left to do
- Play the arrangement on barred instruments
- Add recorder and/or barred instrument improvising in E blues (E G A Bb B D E)
- Add vocal improvisation
This lesson has been reproduced with permission, and is an excerpt from Patrick’s book, This Is What I Can Do: Improvisation Starters for Music Classes K-5. Classic Orff process added to some cool jazz riffs in arrangements of children’s rhymes and original tunes makes this book a perfect addition to your classroom library. Beatin’ Path Publications, Ltd. ISBN 978-0-9963591-6-0
Sign up for latest Orff Tips, Lesson Plans and Advocacy Tools
Empower your students to create their own music in this free 3-day challenge with Roger Sams. (Lessons delivered via email)
Learn about the legendary factory that started it all and why so many teachers like you love our instruments.