Community

Making It Work: Recorder Storage

I am the type of teacher who uses recorders with my students throughout the year. Sometimes we use the recorders every lesson for several classes in a row; sometimes we don’t. Because I use my recorders in this way, asking the children to take them home and bring them back each class does not work… Read more »

POP! Goes the Music

At JJ Harris Elementary School in Athens, Georgia, Music Teacher David Osborne made Fine Arts Night POP! National Youth Art Month (YAM) is an annual observance each March to emphasize the value of art education and to encourage public support for quality school art programs. In Georgia, the theme of this year’s YAM was pop art, and students from around… Read more »

Creative Classroom on a Budget

Fact #1: Teachers don’t make a lot of money. Fact #2: Most, if not all, teachers spend their own money on resources and supplies for their classroom. Wouldn’t it be great if a store existed where you could buy a lot of things for your classroom and spend very little money? With just a little… Read more »

New Year’s Resolutions: A Classroom Perspective

The closer and closer we get to January 1, the more and more we hear…”What is your New Year’s Resolution?” Personally, I have never put too much thought into a resolution, opting for a simple, generic answer with the common theme of just “being better.” But this year, I began to think of resolutions from… Read more »

Music Advocacy Powerpoint

Here is a Power Point presentation I used for Back to School Night at my school. I swapped out the photos with pictures of my own students, (all with permission). The parents loved seeing pictures of their children at work and play in music class. New parents gained a sense of what music class will… Read more »

Why I love Studio 49 Video Contest

Attention Music Educators! Enter the Why I Love Studio 49 Contest for a chance to win a trip for two to Munich, Germany in July 2015. Upload your video, fill out the contest form, and get your friends to vote for you–the video with the most votes wins!