Community

Vitality – Reviving the Life in Your Teaching

Vitality Reviving the Life in Your Teaching We love teaching! Yet, being a teacher can deplete us by degrees. The highs are so high, and the lows are so low. Managing to stay emotionally afloat as we interact with students, coworkers, administrators, and parents is no easy task. Schools are ecosystems and any highs or lows,… Read more »

Back to School Lesson Contest

CALLING ALL MUSIC EDUCATORS! While most of you are enjoying summer break, here at Teaching With Orff we are already planning for back to school. Share your favorite Orff-inspired back to school lesson for a chance to win a fabulous prize from MMB Music! Entering is as easy as 1-2-3! 1. Select a favorite lesson you… Read more »

Making It Work: Summer Reading, Second Edition

Summer Reading List: Professional Development, Second Edition Summer is finally here! After I take a little time to relax and recharge, the planning and organizing for next year will begin. As usual, I have chosen three professional books to read over the summer to enrich, inspire and improve my teaching for next year. Here is… Read more »

Making It Work: Instrument Storage and Organization 2

The Active Music and Movement Classroom: So Much Fun “in Store!” Drue M. Bullington Part 2 of a glimpse into one teacher’s answer to the challenges of having students manage the use and storage of a variety of instruments in an active elemental music and movement classroom. (Read Part 1 here) Un-tuned Percussion Storage: All… Read more »

Making It Work: Instrument Storage and Organization

The Active Music and Movement Classroom: So Much Fun “in Store!” Drue M. Bullington A glimpse into one teacher’s answer to the challenges of having students manage the use and storage of a variety of instruments in an active elemental music and movement classroom. One of the best things about being a classroom music teacher… Read more »

Making It Work: Quiet Music Lessons During Testing

Making It Work: Ideas for Quiet Music Lessons During Testing Season In most public schools around the nation testing season is upon us.  In my district we begin this week. For many music educators that means quiet music lessons. Finding ideas that are quiet, engaging and meaningful as well as meets the needs of students… Read more »

Making It Work: Children’s Literature

Making It Work: Creating Performance Ready Products Based on Children’s Literature One of my favorite parts of Orff workshops and trainings is when clinicians share ways to use children’s literature in a lesson or as the basis for a performance. When I began attending workshops and conference sessions I was amazed at the creative, innovative… Read more »

Making It Work: Orff Level I

Making It Work: Orff Level I Title Photo Credit: Jennifer Mishra, University of Missouri – St Louis Girls and boys come out to play, The sun is shining bright as day. The birds are back, the air is warm, Oh, come let us sing a happy song.   –Adapted from a traditional rhyme by E. Larson… Read more »

Making It Work: Transitioning into Retirement

Making It Work: Transitioning into Retirement As musicians and music educators, we are aware of many types of transitions in the music we perform and teach. There are sudden sforzandos and gradual crescendos; grand pauses and slow moving ritardandos. We have transitions in our classrooms between activities, and transitions to get students on stage and… Read more »

Making It Work: Family Folk Dance Night

Making It Work: Family Folk Dance Night Folk dancing is one the most popular components in our lower school music curriculum.  Through controlled chaos the dance consistently brings a sense of joy and a feeling of community to its participants. In a subtle way folk dancing encourages risk taking, exercises a sense of self-confidence, and… Read more »