Community

Self Care Tips for Quarantined Music Teachers

7 Self Care Tips for Quarantined Music Teachers When news of our schools closing to prohibit the spread of COVID-19 came through, we only had 90 minutes to say goodbye to our students.  The quarantine was very abrupt and left us feeling unmoored. We were meant to be heading into a week of leading music… Read more »

Making It Work: Active Sitting

Making It Work: Active Sitting In my school we are encouraged to offer flexible seating options for students to meet individual needs. Music educators often have dynamic and flexible classrooms to accommodate the many learners who we have the privilege to serve. I am always looking for affordable options to meet the needs of the… Read more »

Black History Month

Black History Month Music educators are often asked to prepare programs and lessons for Black History Month. Many of us are unsure or unaware of the best way to honor and best represent Black culture and heritage. Brandi Waller-Pace asked several Black music educators to share their thoughts and advice. Brandi is the Founder, Executive… Read more »

Making It Work: Orff Schulwerk and Modern Band

Making It Work: Orff Schulwerk and Modern Band (Music as a Second Language) There have been rumblings lately of this new approach to teaching music called “modern band”. While many may just write it off as another passing fad, there is merit to further investigation; teaching and learning processes found in modern band classrooms parallel… Read more »

Making It Work: Self Care for Teachers

Chaotic Harmony Podcast Episode 17: Self Care for Teachers It’s the most wonderful time of year, but also one of the most stressful for music teachers.  Teachers take care of everyone else first and often neglect their own care. In their recent podcast, the members of Chaotic Harmony Classroom tackle the subject and share openly… Read more »

Music Learning Theory & Orff Schulwerk

Music Learning Theory & Orff Schulwerk A Meeting of the Minds Joan: It was several decades ago that I was first exposed to the ideas of Edwin Gordon. Even as a young teacher studying my first Level of Orff Schulwerk at the time, I knew that Music Learning Theory (MLT) was something important and I… Read more »

Making It Work: What is Process Teaching?

Process Teaching: Let’s Start at the Very End In the beloved movie “The Sound of Music,” Julie Andrews’ character, Fraulein Maria, taught us that, in order to learn to sing, we should “start at the very beginning.” When we think about process teaching in the Schulwerk, however, we might do better if we start at… Read more »

Making It Work: Informance

What Is an “Informance,” and How Do I Do It?! A growing trend among general music educators is to host Informances instead of Performances at their campuses. Informances are a great way to invite your students’ parents into the classroom and pull back the curtain to reveal the thoughtful process behind what and how we… Read more »

Making It Work: Planning Ahead for Peace

Planning Ahead for Peace While you are fresh at the beginning of a new school year there are quite a few things that can help you prepare for a peaceful and productive year for you and your students. Please keep in mind that these ideas are what works for me and the students I am… Read more »

Making It Work: Summer Reading 2019

Summer Reading List: Professional Development, Fourth Edition The end is near and it is time to begin thinking about my summer professional reading list! As I have stated in previous years, I set aside time to read three teaching-related books each summer too get the wheels turning and learn something new. Here is my list… Read more »