Community

Making It Work: Orff Level II

Making It Work: Orff Level II  Title Photo Credit: Jennifer Mishra, University of Missouri St. Louis You’ve taken level I and you might be wondering “should I take level II?”  Maybe you teach a population of mostly younger students.  Maybe you are still working to process your level I materials and experiences.  Maybe it has been years since you took level… Read more »

Making It Work: Vocal Health

Making It Work: Vocal Health  Taking care of your voice is an important component of self-care for music educators.  We are talking, singing and laughing with our students all day and then using our voices when we are off duty with friends and family.  If we don’t tend to our vocal health we can have big problems in… Read more »

Making It Work: Classroom Management Toolkit

Classroom Management Toolkit Around this time of year, classroom management problems can seem to pop up.  The excitement and busyness of the holiday season is over, the weather can be problematic, and indoor recess – ugh!  This week we are sending out a collection of tools for your toolbox; a look back at some of our popular classroom management… Read more »

Making It Work: Best Practices for Your Administrator

Rationale for Teaching Multiple Activities During a Single Music Class  As a professor of music education, cooperating teachers often ask me for a rationale about including multiple activities, each with a specific learning objective, into a single music class.  Pressure from the Principal is most-often cited for this request.  Math, Science, History, and Language Arts teachers generally plan with one learning objective per class meeting,… Read more »

Making It Work: Am I Good Enough?

“I’m Not Good Enough” The Lie We Tell Ourselves About Teaching Music by Cameron Moten   Have you ever felt like you aren’t good enough to be a music teacher? Do you see other music teachers getting results that you could only dream of and think you will never be as good as they are?… Read more »

A Visit to the Studio 49 Factory

A Visit to the Studio 49 Factory This past summer my wife and I had the good fortune to visit some family in Munich, Germany. When discussing the various activities we wanted to do while there she asked “what’s the one thing that you must do while in Germany?”  Without skipping a beat, I replied “Go to the Studio… Read more »

Book Review: Responsive Classroom

Book Review: Responsive Classroom If you have been thinking about trying Responsive Classroom or are just looking for some guidance on classroom management, “Responsive Classroom for Music, Art, PE, and Other Special Areas,” is an excellent resource. It is published by the Center for Responsive Schools, Inc., which is a not-for-profit educational organization. It was… Read more »

Making It Work: Providing a Safe Space

Providing a Safe Space in the Music Room Managing behavior in the elementary music classroom can be challenging. We can see 200+ students a day and feel like we have very little time for instruction. Sometimes it can be frustrating to deal with behavior issues in our classroom when all we want to do is teach… Read more »

Facebook Live: Getting Ready to Be Ready

Getting Ready to Be Ready: setting up your students for success when playing barred instruments On Thursday September 21, 2017 at 7:00pm EST, Teaching With Orff will present a Facebook Live Event with BethAnn Hepburn. BethAnn will share her tips for success and answer your questions about preparing your students to play. This event will… Read more »

Making It Work: Classroom Management

Classroom Management Tips for Music That Really Work It’s that time of year.  The honeymoon is over, the kids are comfortable with you and one another.  One child chats quietly to a neighbor and suddenly the entire class erupts in chatter.  You count down, you clap, you use your “firm” voice.  Nothing.  The talking continues…so… Read more »