Fact #1: Teachers don’t make a lot of money.
Fact #2: Most, if not all, teachers spend their own money on resources and supplies for their classroom.
Wouldn’t it be great if a store existed where you could buy a lot of things for your classroom and spend very little money? With just a little creativity, your local dollar store just might be that place! I’m here to share many of my own dollar store finds and ideas.
No Assembly Required:
- Office supplies
- Paper lanterns (usually only available in the summer)
- Foam placemats that can be used in place of poly spots for some activities (for example, they could mark lines for longways sets, but they’re not great for actually dancing on)
- Plastic spiders to use with “There’s a Spider on the Floor” (you could also use a variety of the little toys as rhythmic buiding blocks)
- “Prize Box” items, such as glow stick bracelets, party favors like tops, pencil sharpeners, pencils, bead necklaces, and others
- Teaching Supplies, including stickers, poster letters, sentence strips, and so much more!
Some Assembly Required:
- Popsicle sticks (colorful or plain) – use them to divide students into small groups or choose students to pass things out (I number the sticks and then assign a number to each student in a class)
Dollar store finds featured: paper plates (these particular ones aren’t from a dollar store, but they do have plates!), poster letters [I made the starbursts, but I just saw some pre-cut ones at the dollar store recently]
Dollar store finds featured: plastic shoe boxes, packing tape [labels were free from Teachers Pay Teachers]
Dollar store finds featured: hula hoops, foam noodles cut into thirds [tie was from home, but they have some at the dollar store]
Dollar stores finds featured: foam circles (technically from Target’s Dollar Spot, but there are similar things at dollar stores), permanent marker
There are many resources out there for free supplies, lessons, and ideas – Pinterest, Facebook groups, music teachers’ blogs, Teachers Pay Teachers, and, of course, Teaching with Orff!
How about you – What are some of your favorite dollar store finds?